When I was a kid I absolutely LOVED Campbell’s brand cream of mushroom soup. Back then, we just ate it as soup, not as an ingredient for other recipes as much. And it had a lot of mushrooms in it! Well I haven’t tasted that soup for at least 6 years but now I know that it’s actually easy (and way healthier) to make your own. And it doesn’t take as long as you think!
Tips for making
- I like to reserve some of the sauteed mushrooms in this recipe to add after the soup is blended
- Use gluten free bread if you would like, or even omit the bread completely! It gives the soup a nice thickness. Half of a cooked potato or mashed potatoes would serve the same purpose.
- This soup actually freezes pretty well!
- If you want creamier soup, add the heavy cream, sour cream, piima cream or creme fraiche right into the soup and not as a topping (this is what I do).
Page in NT: 218
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds fresh mushrooms
- 4 Tablespoons butter or ghee
- 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or sherry
- 1 piece whole grain bread, broken into pieces (omit for paleo/low carb)
- pinch of nutmeg (use this nutmeg grinder)
- sea salt or fish sauce and pepper
- heavy cream, sour cream, piima cream or creme fraiche (1 cup total if you’re blending it into the soup)
- Sauté the onions gently in butter until soft.
- Meanwhile, wash mushrooms and dry well. Cut into quarters.
- In a heavy, cast-iron skillet, sauté the mushrooms in small batches in a mixture of butter and olive oil.
- Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Add sautéed mushrooms, wine or sherry, bread and chicken stock to onions, bring to a boil and skim.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Purée soup with a handheld blender.
- Add nutmeg and season to taste.
- Ladle into heated soup bowls and serve with cultured cream.
Photo courtesy of Lablascovegmenu on Flickr.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.