I am making some gift bags this year for people with homemade items in them, and this one turned out really well. My husband couldn’t stop eating them! You can use any crispy nuts for this recipe, but this time I used almonds. This is a great treat to have out at holiday time for snacking or for edible gift giving.
Try this today! I was surprised how quickly this recipe came together.
Tips for making honeyed nuts
- If you want, add cinnamon or other sweet spices. Or even a kick of cayenne pepper would go great with the sweet honey.
- After placing the nuts on the baking sheet, I like to salt the nuts just a bit more since I really like the salty sweet flavor.
- You can also use maple syrup in place of the honey. Use what you have on hand to make this as economical as possible.
- When dried, package these up in cellophane bags and tie with a ribbon. They make yummy gifts!
Honeyed Crispy Almonds
Rating: 4 forks (key)
- 2 cups crispy nuts which are nuts that have been soaked in salt water and dehydrated (almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans or peanuts)
- 2 Tablespoons honey (or grade B maple syrup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons oil (coconut or palm) or butter
- 1/4 cup Rapadura, palm, or coconut sugar,or other granulated traditional sweetener (I used palm sugar)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Place honey, vanilla and oil or butter into a saucepan until it starts to simmer slightly. Add nuts and stir to coat the nuts with the syrup mixture. Cook for about 5 minutes or until most of the syrup is soaked up. Remove from heat and add salt and granulated sweetener, fold into the nut mixture. Place the nuts on wax paper or a silpat liner on a stainless steel baking pan and let harden at room temperature, or place in a 150 degree oven to speed the process. When dry, break up the pieces and store in a covered container.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.