Eggnog makes a quick and tasty breakfast, and if you have a milk allergy, you can also make it dairy/casein free with coconut milk tonic (or even just coconut milk)! This recipe has really been hitting the spot for me this week and is very satisfying. It’s not just for the holidays, but is great any time of year. I love it with nutmeg and cinnamon!
Tips for making Eggnog
- No blender is needed for one serving! I have one of these mixing cups that you can just shake and the ingredients combine with the help of a stainless steel ball. This can even be prepared the night before for a grab and go breakfast the next day.
- If you’re feeling luxurious, replace some of the raw milk or coconut milk tonic with either raw cream or coconut cream. Whipping the cream and then folding it in to the mixture makes the eggnog thicker (wow this sounds like a great dessert!)
- Grate some fresh nutmeg into this with a nutmeg grinder or a microplane for an extra special treat. Freshly ground whole nutmeg is completely different than the pre-powdered.
- Gently heat this if you prefer a warm breakfast, stirring constantly. You don’t want it to get too hot and cook the nutrients out of the egg yolks and raw milk.
- If you want some extra ‘ooomph’ in your eggnog, blend up a half a banana in it (you’ll have to use a stick blender though). You probably can omit the maple syrup if you do this.
Milk or Coconut Eggnog
Easy, Serves 1-2
- 1 1/2 cups raw milk or coconut milk tonic (use 3/4 cup cream and 3/4 milk for a richer eggnog), or coconut milk
- 2 egg yolks from pastured eggs
- 1-2 teaspoons raw honey or grade B maple syrup –OR– a pinch of stevia
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
Shake up all ingredients in a shaker cup, sprinkle extra cinnamon and nutmeg on the top and enjoy! Gently heat if you wish too. If you can’t put your finger in it over 10 seconds, it’s too hot and you’ll kill the good stuff in the eggnog.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.