I love this sauce, it is so easy, it’s tasty, and it’s satisfying. I like tomatoes, but sometimes variety is good. I will eat this sauce over rice noodles, rice, or even mashed or baked potatoes. It’s not fancy, but one of those easy meals that you can make on a weeknight when you haven’t planned a dinner ahead of time. And it’s gluten, casein (dairy) and nightshade free! The picture above is before the wine and beef broth are added. It’s a bit more saucy, but not like gravy since the only thickener used is some gelatin.
Tips for making No-Tomato Spaghetti Sauce
- This recipe is easily halved
- Feel free to use other herbs that you may have on hand, even just parsley is good, or dried herbs
- Next time, I will reduce the rosemary, as my family thought it was ‘too herby’. I know that they will eat it with that change.
- Top this with sauerkraut and sour cream, it’s yummy!
- This would also make a good base for a simple soup or a stew, with potatoes and carrots in it.
- For additional thickness without using flour, I would suggest using some arrowroot.
- Serve over roasted squash or other roasted vegetables such as carrot and onion for a good SCD, GAPS, paleo/primal or grain free meal. For a gluten free meal, serve over quinoa or brown rice pasta.
Tomato-free Spaghetti Sauce
Page in NT: 357
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Chef’s Knife
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic [TNC: not in original recipe, added by me]
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 T fresh rosemary leaves, chopped fine
- 1 T gelatin [TNC: I added this for thickening] (See Resources)
- Sea salt and pepper
Brown meat in a cast iron skillet, no need to pour out fat if you’re using beef from grass fed cows. Add onions, stock, wine and rosemary. Bring to a boil and cook, uncovered, for 15 to 30 minutes until liquid has reduced to a thick sauce. Season to taste.
Photo courtesy of darleeneisms on Flickr
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.